An 1878 Victorian with an eclectic history and beautiful bones is transformed into a series of light filled, expansive spaces. Care was taken to retain the traditional Victorian detailing while adding a modern casework and furnishings to update the space.
The house had been through many incarnations – including housing for naval officers, home to a dental school, crash pad for rock stars – all of which left their mark on the architecture. Before any design decisions could be made, the house was stripped to its bones, which revealed capacious and thoughtfully designed spaces. The design intent was to honor the original architecture and traditional detailing – decorative door knobs, intricate moldings – and blend Victorian with modern.